Skip to main content

Meeting strangers | Life's Gifts

What is it that makes people afraid to talk to strangers? I think one obstacle may that people don't now how to 'disengage' if they don't want to talk further. I have found a polite, 'gotta go now...good talking to you' works just fine! After all, it IS OK to disengage. I think just knowing that makes it easier.

Also, it seems that people are suspicious...as in, 'what do you want from me.' I often talk to new people...at work, while at Starbucks and pretty much anywhere. The conversations always start with what's going on around me, and I make a point not to ask what someone does when I meet them, as it takes us from the 'human element' to 'work mode' far too quickly. I don't talk to people because I want anything at all from them, rather just because we are all human after all...we're not rocks!

Just this past week, I have met amazing people. Just a quick glimpse into a few should illustrate how easy and interesting it is to open oneself up to meeting new people. What you’ll notice is that there are all these amazing people in the world, and unless you stop and find out a little about what’s going on inside of them, you will miss out on some very rich and rewarding experiences.

WHERE: A pub at London, Heathrow Airport
WHO: A gentleman from Florida on his way to Bangkok. He’s 60 years old, been retired for 10 years and loves to write, kayak and live life fully. He doesn’t want to live without passion, and had some wonderful stories to share. He’s going threw a divorce right now, so it’s a tough time, but he’ll be just fine. I’m going to help him get his stories online and figure out how to use the web in a easily managed, graceful fashion for his goals.
WHAT I LEARNED: We are all getting older every day, and just because we’re getting older…don’t mean we have to get old. I also learned that no matter how old we are, we feel the same things at 60 as we do at 30.
CONTACT INFO EXCHANGED: Yes

WHERE: Customs Line (London, Heathrow Airport)
WHO: VP of Business Development for a company that translates movies from English to any other language.
WHAT I LEARNED: What amazing opportunities for new business relationships surround us each day just by being polite and talking to our neighbor.
CONTACT INFO EXCHANGED: Yes

WHERE: Executive Lounge at London, Heathrow Airport
WHO: Irish gentleman who owns the rights to the Irish-Apprentice television show, father of three and world traveler.
WHAT I LEARNED: When negotiating a business deal, leave enough money for the other fella to make a buck. Don’t be greedy and remember…it truly is all about people!
CONTACT INFO EXCHANGED: Yes

WHERE: Executive Lounge at London, Heathrow Airport
WHO: English gentleman who is the Chairman of a large milk distributorship, and makes arguable the world’s finest Bloody Mary! I would know because he made me two, and taught me how to make it!
WHAT I LEARNED: No matter how successful in life one becomes (Chairman), it is refreshing to share the little things and show some kindness. He described his job as, ‘I sell milk.’
CONTACT INFO EXCHANGED: Yes

WHERE: Cologne, Germany
WHO: Founder of a cool worldwide German company
WHAT I LEARNED: What you start out with isn’t always what you end up doing…and the key to it all is being willing to be flexible and change your strategy mid-stream. I also learned that it doesn’t matter whether you are the CEO or work in the mail room, as everyone appreciates when another person reaches out to them to make them feel at ease.
CONTACT INFO EXCHANGED: Yes

WHERE: Cologne, Germany
WHO: A baseball player I played against when I was 17 y/o
WHAT I LEARNED: Sometimes it’s really good to reconnect to your past.
CONTACT INFO EXCHANGED: Yes

WHERE: Cologne, Germany
WHO: VP Software Development
WHAT I LEARNED: Connecting on any level is about shared interests, or the willingness to be exposed to new interests. We started talking about cars, and ended up racing around the Nurburgring Race Track at nearly 200 kph. If you are interested, you can check out a link here of what an amazing experience it was: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/157915/bmw_m6/R/WFD_101
CONTACT INFO EXCHANGED: Yes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PCI Compliance - Cheat Sheet

A bit of background regarding PCI compliance - as credit card use has become more widespread both offline and online, and as consumer concern about security has understandably grown, the credit card industries have made an effort to ensure that sensitive information is protected. To that end, in September 2006, the major credit card companies (American Express, Discover Financial Services, JCB, MasterCard Worldwide and Visa International) formed the PCI Security Standards Council (SSC) and established a set of rules for what they called PCI compliance. These rules have to be followed depending on the size of a business and the number of credit card transactions handled, and if done properly will help protect consumers’ data from theft. The Rules in a Nutshell There are six major categories within the standards established by the PCI SSC, which are as follows: –Build and maintain a secure network –Protect cardholder data –Maintain a vulnerability management program –Implement strong

Italian Baseball | Arriving (VERONA, ITALY)

ARRIVING IN VERONA, ITALY to PLAY BASEBALL On the train from Milano to Verona I found myself being suddenly freaked out. My family-heritage-enthusiasm was starting to leave me...and self doubt started to pop up. In moments like this...and in my lifetime I had plenty...I did what I was taught to do on the baseball diamond...stick to the fundamentals and don't try to do too much! So I took a deep breath and kept thinking to myself, 'one thing at a time...and the first thing is to get rid of this HUGE, unwieldy, ridiculously heaving duffel bag!' There are two things everyone should know about Italian train stations: Left Luggage - you can leave your bags with them, thus unburdening yourself for a small fee. Buses - there are lots of buses outside of train stations and if you take Bus #1, it will take you to Il Centro (the center) of town. So with this knowledge I rented one of their changing rooms for 30 minutes...took a shower and sorted through what I needed to begin my que

PCI-at-a-Glance for Gaming

There are four levels of PCI Compliance.  Level I is the highest standard .  Levels III & IV are self audits and should trigger serious red flags within your organization, as there is zero accountability. Why choosing a PCI Level I supplier saves money and limits risk! -         Liability : using a PCI Level I provider means that you absolve yourself from all liability as it pertains to the storage and transmission of credit card data. This means that if there was ever a breach and personal information was revealed, your SERVICE PROVIDER is liable, not your company. o     Imagine your Public Relations Team explaining to your end users that their personal credit card information was compromised because you did not choose a PCI Level I Compliant provider. -        Registration pages: o     You must host registration pages, because they cannot touch credit card data. -        User Self Service: o     You must design, build and maintain USS because they can